Marianne Hogan took second of 120 runners to lead SDSU at the UCSD Triton Classic.
Oct. 8, 2011
LA JOLLA, Calif. -
Marianne Hogan was the first collegiate finisher and took second overall of 120 runners to pace the San Diego State cross country team at the UC San Diego Triton Classic Invitational Saturday in La Jolla, Calif.
The Aztecs finished third of 13 teams with 124 points, just four behind runner-up Central Arizona (120). The host Tritons won the meet with 38 points. Cal State Los Angeles (138) and Cal State San Bernardino (139) rounded out the top five.
Hogan completed the 6,000-meter course in 22 minutes, 1.8 seconds, more than 15 seconds ahead of the next collegiate finisher Chia Chang of UCSD (22:17.5). It was the 10th consecutive race that Hogan has led SDSU. She now has a first, a second and a third-place finish in her four races this season. Only Breanne Strenkowski (21:18.1), an unattached runner, defeated Hogan.
Josefine Koskinen and Taylor Johnson were San Diego State's No. 2 and No. 3 runner for the fourth straight race. Koskinen cracked the top 10 with a ninth-place finish in 23:16.9, while Johnson was 28th in 24:07.0.
Running in just her second race this season, Niki Novak finished in 33rd-place with a time of 24:15.3. Hannah Carman completed the Aztecs' top five with a 67th-place finish in 25:12.6.
Amy Reaser ran a huge 6K personal record of 25:16.4 to take 70th (previous best was 28:23.7), while Seana Rigney made her SDSU debut with an 80th-place showing (25:40.4).
San Diego State is back in action on Oct. 29, when it heads to Fort Collins, Colo., for the Mountain West Championships.
UC San Diego Titan Classic Invitational
1. UC San Diego - 38
2. Central Arizona - 120
3. San Diego State - 124
4. Cal State Los Angeles - 138
5. Cal State San Bernardino - 139
6. UC Irvine - 151
7. Cal State Bakersfield - 167
8. Cal State Monterey Bay - 173
9. Cal Poly Pomona - 223
10. Western New Mexico - 248
11. Sonoma State - 283
12. Pacific - 284
13. Fort Lewis - 297
6K Individual Results (of 120 runners)
1. Breanne Strenkowski (Unattached) - 21:18.1
2. Marianne Hogan (SDSU) - 22:01.8
3. Chia Chang (UC San Diego) - 22:17.5
4. Michelle LaRoux (UC San Diego) - 22:18.9
5. Rebekah Frazier (Cal State San Bernardino) - 22:37.4
9. Josefine Koskinen (SDSU) - 23:16.9
28. Taylor Johnson (SDSU) - 24:07.0
33. Niki Novak (SDSU) - 24:15.3
67. Hannah Carman (SDSU) - 25:12.6
70. Amy Reaser (SDSU) - 25:16.4
80. Seana Rigney (SDSU) - 25:40.4
85. Amanda Okun (SDSU) - 25:48.1
90. Megan Hughes (SDSU) - 25:58.9
92. Kaitlyn Harrison (SDSU) - 26:11.5
96. Jessica Kelly (SDSU) - 26:16.8
106. Monique Martinez (SDSU) - 26:49.7
108. Hannah Winokur (SDSU) - 27:06.0