26th Annual Aztec Track & Field Classic On Tap Saturday At The Sports Deck
March 16, 2004
Aztecs Play Host To Lone Home Meet Of The Season This Weekend
* The meet kicks-off at 3 p.m. with the men's and women's hammer, the only event scheduled for Friday. The hammer will take place across town at UCSD in La Jolla, Calif.
* Saturday's action back at the Sports Deck begins at 9 a.m. with the men's javelin, while the track events start a half hour later with the women's 5,000 meters at 9:30 a.m. The last event of the day, the men's 4x400 relay, is slated for 4:15 p.m.
* The host Aztecs will be joined by 62 other collegiate and club teams, including local schools Alliant International, UCSD and CSU San Marcos. Also represented will be Adams State, Chapman, Concordia, Fredonia State, Middlebury, St. Thomas and Western State.
* Several world-class track and field athletes are also expected to make the trip on Saturday, including former Aztec All-American Miesha McKelvy-Jones and 400-meter specialist Tyree Washington.
McKelvy-Jones earned a bronze medal in the 100-meter hurdles (12.67) at the 2003 IAAF World Championships in Saint-Denis, France and is coached by Aztec track and field head coach Rahn Sheffield.
Washington enjoyed his finest year in 2003, going undefeated the entire season before his silver medal winning performance in the 400 meters at the World Outdoor Championships. His two best performances in 2003 in winning the USA outdoor title (44.33), and winning at Rome (44.42) were the two fastest 400m times in the world that year. Washington is a world record holder in the 4x400 relay and 1997 World Championships gold and bronze medalist
* Complete results for the Aztec Classic will be available at the conclusion of the meet (approx. 6 p.m. PST) on www.goaztecs.com. The meet schedule is also available on the web, while a complete list of entries should be posted Wednesday evening.