Aztecs Set To Play Host To MW Championship
Oct. 30, 2012
Game Week Reset
Aztec Story Lines
- SDSU is coming off a week where it played just one game, a 1-0 victory over New Mexico at home. Thanks to a goal by sophomore Kelsey Booth, the Aztecs were able to send seniors Megan Allaire, Kim Carcich, Marisa Fraticelli, Sarah Halverson, Tiffany Hurst, Megan Jurado and Rachael McGlinchy off a with a victory on Senior Day.
- For Booth's success, she garnered MW Offensive Player of the Week honors for the first time in her career. With the honor, an Aztec has now been honored 10 out of the 11 weeks this season.
- The Aztecs are now 17-1-1 and 7-0 in MW play, which marks the second-best win percentage (.921) in the NCAA this season. The 17 wins are also the second most in program history, trailing the 19 victories amassed by the 1998 NCAA Tournament squad.
- The sixth Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) of the 2012 women's soccer season was released on Monday and SDSU leads the Mountain West with an RPI of 5. The only other MW teams in the top 100 are UNLV (75) and New Mexico (89).
- San Diego State remained at No. 6 in the most recent National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll. Last week, the Aztecs moved up two spots to No. 11 in the Soccer America rankings and one spot to No. 6 in the Soccer Times poll. Updated rankings for both polls will come out on Tuesday afternoon.
- The Aztecs carry a season-long 11 game unbeaten streak into the MW semifinal game, but more impressive is their current unblemished 10-0-0 mark at SDSU Sports Deck. At home, SDSU has tallied eight shutouts and have allowed just three goals.
- On the season, Jurado leads SDSU with 13 goals and eight assists for a team-high 34 points. The senior has also started all 19 contests and is one of just five Aztecs to do so. In the NCAA rankings, Jurado is tied for third with seven game-winning goals this season. She is also tied for 16th in total points (34), T-20th in total goals (13), 20th in points-per-game (1.79) and T-28 in goals-per-game (0.68). In the Mountain West rankings, meanwhile, Jurado is ranked first in all of the above categories.
- Offensively as a team, the Aztecs lead the Mountain West in shots (116), points (49), goals (16), goals-per-game (2.29), assists (17) and assists per game (2.43) in conference action.
- The San Diego State defense and Rachel Boaz have been just stellar in Mountain West action. The Aztecs have allowed a league-low three goals and are second in the league in goals-against average (0.43) and shutouts (4). For all games, SDSU leads the MW with 10 total shutouts.
- Boaz, individually, finished Mountain West action with a miniscule GAA of 0.47 and two shutouts. Boaz's 0.54 GAA for all games ranks first in the MW and 14th nationally, where she is the lone player from the Mountain West in the top 30. Boaz also ranks second in the conference with eight shutouts in 2012.
- Boaz sits atop the league's leaderboard due to, in part, the cohesiveness and steady play of the Aztecs' starting backline of Haley Palmer, Kory Spotts, Carli Johnson and Rachael McGlinchy. Johnson has played 1726 of the total 1745 minutes this season. In the last five games, meanwhile, Spotts (437), McGlinchy (437) and Palmer (408) have all logged consistent minutes.
Aztecs and the MW Championship
(5) Fresno State
Aztecs vs. the Opposition
(5) Fresno State