Women's Soccer Ready for Final Homestand
Oct. 16, 2013
SAN DIEGO -
UNLV (7-6-2; 2-3 MW) at San Diego State (6-6-2; 4-1 MW)
Friday, Oct. 18 | 7 p.m. PT | Mountain West Network | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
Nevada (4-7-3; 2-3 MW) at San Diego State (6-6-2; 4-1 MW)
Aztec Story Lines
- The Aztecs are set to play their final two regular-season home games following a 1-1 road trip to Air Force and Wyoming. SDSU beat the Falcons, 2-0, before falling to the Cowgirls, 2-1. With the loss at Wyoming, San Diego State fell back into a first-place tie with New Mexico and Fresno State.
- On Sunday vs. Nevada, six Aztecs are slated to play in their final regular-season home game. Prior to kickoff, San Diego State will recognize Soledad Gomez, Carli Johnson, Sophie Metz, Haley Palmer, Jensen Skinner and Kory Spotts for their efforts while wearing the Scarlet and Black.
- The Aztecs have won three of their last four Senior Day outings, including last season's 1-0 win over New Mexico.
- The loss to Wyoming temporarily put an end to SDSU's dominance over the Mountain West. The Cowgirls halted San Diego State's 14-game regular-season winning streak vs. league foes and snapped a string of 392 minutes, 14 seconds of scoreless soccer. In fact, when Wyoming took a 2-1 lead with 14 minutes, 30 seconds left in regulation, it marked the first time SDSU trailed in an MW game since the fifth minute of the Wyoming game last season on Oct. 19, 2012.
- Despite the setback in Laramie, San Diego State returns to a venue where it has posted a 15-1-1 record in its last 17 regular-sesaon home games and is 14-0-1 in its last 15 regular-season home dates vs. unranked foes.
- Entering this week's games, the Aztecs have won 10 straight at home vs. MW teams and eight consecutive during the regular season at home vs. league members.
- Hannah Keane made it six straight games with at least one goal when she scored the game-winner at Air Force. During her six-game run, the junior tallied eight goals and one assist. Her remarkable streak, however, came to end on Sunday at Wyoming. She currently leads the team with nine goals and 21 points.
- Just one game after posting her first career point, Morgan Darling recorded two more at Air Force with her 35th-minute goal. Her first career goal came from 10 yards out and through a crowd. The assist went to Katie Perry, who pocketed her first point as an Aztec.
- In Laramie, the Aztecs were led in scoring by a pair of seniors in Johnson and Metz. A redshirt senior, Metz delivered a pass to Johnson, who headed the ball past the Cowgirl keeper. For Johnson, the goal was her career-best third of the year. Metz, meanwhile, tallied her first assist of the season in the 33rd minute.
- San Diego State will play a UNLV side that it has beaten five consecutive times, which includes last year's 3-0 decision at the Sports Deck. SDSU's last defeat to the Rebels occurred in 2008. In eight all-time meetings that have taken place in San Diego, the Aztecs are 6-2. The Scarlet and Black lead the all-time series, 11-7.
- SDSU will put its perfect 3-0 record vs. Nevada on the line Sunday. The school's played a home-and-home series in 2002 and 2003 that saw the Aztecs walk away with 5-1 and 3-1 victories, respectively. Last year when Nevada was a first-year member of the Mountain West, San Diego State handed the Wolf Pack a 3-0 loss.