Sept. 19, 2012
SAN DIEGO --
Game Week Reset
No. 17/25/18 San Diego State (7-1-1) at UC Santa Barbara (3-4-1)
Aztec Story Lines
- No. 17/25/18 San Diego State returns home on Friday for a 5 p.m. PT matchup with UC Irvine at the SDSU Sports Deck. The Aztecs will then travel to UC Santa Barbara on Sunday for a 2 p.m. PT matchup with the Gauchos.
- This past Friday, SDSU suffered a grueling 1-0 setback to defending national champion Stanford. The Aztecs then faced off with Santa Clara on Sunday and scored early, but had an injury to goalkeeper Rachel Boaz directly affect the outcome in a 1-1 tie.
- Carli Johnson scored the lone goal for San Diego State over the weekend. It's the first time she has scored in 2012 and the third goal of her career. Johnson is the only Aztec to have played all 845:16 on the season.
- SDSU is ranked No. 17 in the most recent National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll, No. 25 in the Soccer America rankings and No. 18 by Soccer Times. The Aztecs are the lone team from the Mountain West in all three polls.
- The Aztecs, which are also ranked No. 3 in the NSCAA Pacific Region poll, rank third in the nation with a 0.32 goals-against average, surrendering just three goals in 845:16 minutes.
- San Diego State boasts the nation's fourth-best saves percentage at .919, giving up three goals against 34 saves this season.
- The Aztecs have blanked six of their nine opponents this season and are tied for eighth nationally with a shutout percentage of .667.
- Boaz has played 821.49 minutes in goal for SDSU this season. She ranks second and third, respectively, in the nation with a .943 saves average and .219 goals-against average, making 33 saves while surrendering only two goals.
- Megan Jurado has recorded game-winning goals in four of San Diego State's nine contests this season, tying for fourth-most nationally.
- Hannah Keane leads the Aztecs in shots with 21 and has tallied three assists. She and Johnson are the only goal scorers on the team to not record a game-winner. Kelsey Booth, Tiffany Hurst and Haley Locker join Jurado as they have all tallied game-winning goals this season.
- SDSU, which is No. 27 in TopDrawerSoccer.com's field of 64, enters Friday's match leading the all-time series with UC Irvine by a 9-4-3 margin. The Aztecs have won the last three contests, including a 2-1 overtime victory in 2009 at the SDSU Sports Deck. UCI's last win against SDSU came in Irvine during the 2003 season.
- The Aztecs also have the advantage in the all-time series with UC Santa Barbara as they are 6-5-1. SDSU faced off with the Gauchos last season and dropped a close 1-0 decision at the SDSU Sports Deck. UCSB has been successful against the Aztecs as of late, but SDSU won five straight contests against the Gauchos from 1994-2002.
UC Santa Barbara