W. Soccer to Clash with USD, No. 16 Portland This Week
Sept. 17, 2013
SAN DIEGO -
San Diego (5-3) at San Diego State (1-4-2)
Friday, Sept. 20 | 7 p.m. PT | Mountain West Network | SDSU Sports Deck | San Diego, Calif.
[16/9] Portland (5-1-1) at San Diego State (1-4-2)
Aztec Story Lines
- Both non-conference games will be streamed live for free on GoAztecs.com via the Mountain West Network. Chris Ello will have the call. Live stats will also be available at GoAztecs.com.
- San Diego State returns home after dropping both of its matches last week on the road. The Aztecs allowed single goals late in each half to No. 5 UCLA en route to a 2-0 loss. Then at Pepperdine, a team that was receiving votes in two top-25 polls, the Scarlet and Black gave up two counter-attack goals, which sent them to another 2-0 defeat.
- SDSU is looking for its first win since defeating Saint Mary's, 1-0, back on Aug. 25, and its first result since its double-overtime-scoreless draw vs. Houston on Sept. 8. Since their victory over the Gaels, the Aztecs have gone 0-3-2.
- If San Diego State is to earn a result, SDSU Sports Deck is the place to do it. The Aztecs are unbeaten in their last 12 regular-season home games (11-0-1) and have not been beaten at home during the regular season since Oct. 16, 2011.
- The Aztecs are still in search of program win No. 250. Established in 1989, the SDSU Women's Soccer program is 249-178-48 (.575) overall. In his seventh season, Friesen has produced 70 victories or 28.1 percent of the program's total. He is 70-45-20 overall and owns the second-highest winning percentage in school history (.593) behind Chuck Clegg (.597).
- Since the start of the 2011 campaign, San Diego State is 4-5-1 vs. nationally ranked squads. Prior to that, going back to the beginning of 2009, the Aztecs were a miserable 1-7-2 vs. schools with a number to the left of their name.
- San Diego State is 3-1 since the start of 2011 against nationally ranked teams at home and 2-0 during the regular season. Included in its record is a 1-0 win over then-No. 4 Portland in August 2011. In fact, two of those wins came against top-5 teams from the WCC in Portland and No. 5 Pepperdine last season.
- SDSU has beaten Portland two straight times, the aforementioned game in 2011 and last year's 3-2 shootout on the road when the Pilots were ranked 23rd. Since 2006, only two teams have active winning streaks vs. UP - UCLA, which has won five straight in the series, and the Aztecs.
- San Diego State and USD are meeting for the 13th time in series history, but for the first time in the regular season since Oct. 25, 2006. The two schools last met in the first round of the 2009 NCAA tournament and the Aztecs dismissed the Toreros, 1-0, at UCLA's Drake Stadium. San Diego State is 7-4-1 all-time vs. USD and 2-0-1 in games played on Montezuma Mesa with wins coming in 1993 and 2005.
- The Aztecs and Pilots are meeting for the 11th times in series history. Portland comes to Montezuma Mesa for the second time in three years and carries an 8-2 series advantage. In games played in San Diego, San Diego State is 1-2.