Sept. 12, 2012
SAN DIEGO --
Game Week Reset
Aztec Story Lines
- The Aztecs notched their sixth straight shutout win on Friday as it defeated Minnesota, 1-0, behind senior Megan Jurado's game-winning goal in the opening minute of overtime. On Sunday, the Aztecs received another game-winner from Jurado to lift SDSU to a 2-1 victory over Iowa State.
- SDSU's successful weekend resulted in it moving up five spots in both the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll and Soccer America rankings. The Aztecs are now ranked No. 15 in the NSCAA poll and No. 16 by Soccer America and they are the lone team from the Mountain West in both rankings.
- The Aztecs, which are also ranked No. 3 in the NSCAA Pacific Region poll, played 597:36 of shutout soccer this season before allowing a goal by the Cyclones (42:21) on Sunday. San Diego State was the last Division I team to allow a goal in 2012. North Carolina and Quinnipiac join the Aztecs as the only other teams to allow one goal this season.
- SDSU leads the nation with a 0.14 goals-against average, surrendering just one goal in 645:16 minutes. The Mountain West and ACC (North Carolina, Virginia Tech) account for four of the nation's top five teams in that category as Air Force ranks fifth.
- The Aztecs are one of seven undefeated (and untied) teams nationally (Florida State 6-0-0; Iowa 8-0-0; Mississippi 7-0-0; Mississippi State 7-0-0; Virginia Tech 8-0-0; Washington 7-0-0).
- Jurado has been on fire as of late, recording the last three game-winning goals for SDSU. She has four on the season, which is tied for second-most nationally. The forward was rewarded for her efforts on Monday as she earned MW Offensive Player of the Week honors for the first time in her career.
- Goalkeeper Rachel Boaz continued her stellar play this past weekend. The redshirt sophomore tallied a season-high six saves on Friday en route to notching her sixth consecutive shutout. Then on Sunday, she extended that shutout streak to 597:36 on the season before allowing a goal at the 42:21 mark. Boaz has played all 645:16 minutes in goal for the Aztecs this season and ranks second nationally with a .139 goals-against average.
- SDSU, which jumped up eight spots to No. 23 in TopDrawerSoccer.com's field of 64, enters Friday's match with defending national champion Stanford after having suffered a heartbreaker in 2009. The Aztecs led the second-ranked Cardinal, 2-0, in Palo Alto, Calif., for nearly 58 minutes before ultimately dropping the contest. SDSU's two-goal lead at Stanford was something no team has accomplished in over five seasons.