No. 21 W. Soccer to Face Michigan State, No. 14 Michigan on Road
Aug 27, 2013
SAN DIEGO -
[21/t-25/rv] San Diego State (1-1) at Michigan State (2-0)
Friday, Aug. 30 | 5 p.m. ET | DeMartin Stadium | East Lansing, Mich.
[21/t-25/rv] San Diego State (1-1) at [14/15/14] Michigan (2-0)
Aztec Story Lines
- Live stats for each game will be provided through GameTracker and can be found on GoAztecs.com as well as each school's respective websites.
- The Aztecs are coming off an up-and-down season-opening weekend. SDSU dropped a 4-1 decision to USC, which was receiving votes in the preseason NSCAA poll, on Friday at USD. San Diego State, however, responded with a 1-0 victory Sunday vs. Saint Mary's at home.
- With the win over Saint Mary's, the Aztecs extended their regular-season home winning streak to 11 games and improved to 5-0-2 in home openers under head coach Mike Friesen. Both are school records for longest regular-season home winning streak and longest unbeaten streak in home openers.
- San Diego State leaves America's Finest City looking to protect a five-game road winning streak and a 12-road-game unbeaten mark. Its last road loss occurred on Oct. 2, 2011, when SDSU found itself on the wrong side of a 5-0 score at No. 16 Santa Clara. Against unranked opposition on the road, the Aztecs have won 10 straight with their last defeat coming on Aug. 21, 2011, at unranked California (ot-L, 1-2).
- SDSU is heading to Big Ten country for the second consecutive season. Last year, the Aztecs went to Minnesota and won in overtime, 1-0. San Diego State also beat Iowa State in Minneapolis, 2-1.
- The Aztecs will carry a three-game winning streak vs. the Big Ten (vs. Big Ten schools at game time) into The Wolverine State. Overall, San Diego State is 5-1 vs. schools in the league at game time and 5-2-1 vs. the current Big Ten.
- San Diego State has never faced Michigan State or Michigan in 25 seasons of Aztec Women's Soccer.
- The Aztecs are in search of program win No. 250. Established in 1989, the SDSU Women's Soccer program is 249-175-46 (.579) overall. In his seventh season, Friesen has produced 70 victories or 28.1 percent of the program's total. He is 70-42-18 overall and owns the highest winning percentage in school history (.608).
- Jensen Skinner provided the game-winning goal in the 54th minute in SDSU's outing with Saint Mary's. The GWG equaled her career high and so far this season, Jensen looks to be an offensive threat for the Scarlet and Black. Through two games, the senior has attempted seven shots with three coming on goal. Last year alone in 24 games, Skinner attempted 14 shots with five coming on goal.
- Hannah Keane, the team's top returning scorer, was up to her old tricks Friday vs. USC. The junior continually put pressure on the Trojans and found the back of the net in the 70th minute. For her career, Keane has 13 goals, seven assists and 33 points.
- Melanie Vaughn is in her first season as the starting goalkeeper and picked up career victory No. 1 for the Aztecs after she helped shut out Saint Mary's. The redshirt sophomore has played all 180 minutes this season and made seven saves.
- Following the trip to Michigan, SDSU will return home for one game, a Sunday, Sept. 8, showdown vs. Houston (Noon PT).