SDSU To Face Saint Francis (Pa.), Seattle U This Week
Aug. 20, 2012
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Reset
Seattle University (1-1) at San Diego State (2-0)
Aztec Story Lines
- SDSU, which is ranked No. 5 in the NSCAA Pacific region poll, is coming off a
successful opening weekend where it picked up two victories. The Aztecs battled
to a 1-0 double-overtime win in the season opener and then picked up a 2-0
victory against Arizona State.
- Three different Aztecs scored goals as SDSU opened its 2012 campaign with
a 2-0 record. Senior Megan Jurado tallied the game-winner over SMU, while
sophomores Kelsey Booth and Haley Locker each notched goals in a victory
against Arizona State.
- Senior Sarah Halverson was also instrumental in the successful weekend for
San Diego State. She tallied an assist on the game-winning goal against SMU
and notched another in SDSU's second goal against ASU.
- Aztec goalkeeper Rachel Boaz has continued where she left off last year. Over
the weekend, the redshirt sophomore played 194 minutes in goal and racked up
six saves en route to two shutout victories.
- SDSU's 2-0 start is its first since 2006 and the eighth time it has happened in
the program's 24-year history.
- The Aztecs have jumped out to a 3-0 start only three times in school history.
The last time was 1999, when SDSU finished 15-7 overall and 5-1 in Mountain
West play en route to a berth in the NCAA Tournament.
- SDSU, which jumped up six spots to No. 36 in TopDrawerSoccer.com's field of
64, enter Wednesday's match with Saint Francis (Pa.) having not faced the Red
Flash. Saint Francis (Pa.) will be the first team from the Northeast Conference
that SDSU has faced in program history.
- The Aztecs and Seattle University are meeting for just the third time, with each
team having a win against each other. In 2011, SDSU dropped a 3-1 decision to the Redhawks in Las Vegas, Nev. In 2009, however, the Aztecs earned a 2-0 win in a contest held at the SDSU Sports Deck.