SDSU Women's Soccer Opens 2012 vs. SMU, Arizona State
Aug. 15, 2012
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Reset
Arizona State (0-0) at San Diego State (0-0)
Aztec Story Lines
- The Aztecs were tabbed for a second-place finish in the Mountain West in the league's preseason coaches' poll. SDSU earned 44 points and two first-place votes, which put it behind New Mexico, which garnered 46 points and five first-place tallies.
- SDSU, which is in TopDrawerSoccer.com's preseason field of 64, opens the season at home for the second consecutive year and is unbeaten in its last three season-openers on Montezuma Mesa. In 2011, the Aztecs notched a 1-0 win against Arizona. In 2009, SDSU defeated Fresno State, 1-0, and in 2007, tied Toledo in double overtime, 1-1.
- The Aztecs are coming off a 1-1 exhibition tie with No. 18 Long Beach State last Friday. SDSU outshot the 49ers, 11-7, and held a 6-4 margin in shots on goal and a 3-2 advantage in corner kicks. Marisa Fraticelli tallied the lone goal for the Aztecs in the 86th minute. LBSU, meanwhile, scored in the opening minutes of the second half when Chyann Saban connected on a header off of a corner kick from teammate Jordan Nelson.
- SDSU finished 2011 with a 10-7-3 overall record (4-1-1 Mountain West) and welcomes back 20 letterwinners and 10 starters off that squad. Seven of those returning letterwinners for the Aztecs, including six starters, were named to CollegeSportsMaddness.com's preseason all-Mountain West team. The players named to the first team include redshirt senior Tiffany Hurst, senior Megan Jurado, redshirt junior Sophie Metz and junior Haley Palmer. Sophomore Hannah Keane, junior Kory Spotts and redshirt sophomore Rachel Boaz, meanwhile, landed on the all-MW second team.
- The Aztecs open their season with five straight at home, which is similar to the team's schedule last year when it played seven of its first eight at the SDSU Sports Deck. In 2011, the Aztecs opened with a home contest with Arizona and a road contest at California. SDSU then played six consecutive home games en route to tallying a 3-1-2 record, including a 1-0 win against No. 4 Portland. SDSU's first road match this season will be on Sept. 7 when the Aztecs travel to Minneapolis, Minn., to face Minnesota.
- SDSU enters the opener with SMU having only played on one previous occassion in November of 1996 when SDSU earned a 3-1 victory in Provo, Utah.
- The Aztecs face off with Arizona State looking to continue its success against the Sun Devils at home. SDSU is 3-3-1 all-time against ASU, including a 2-0-1 mark when the teams have played in San Diego.
- San Diego State is facing the Sun Devils for the first time since 2009. That season, ASU escaped with a 2-1 overtime win in Tempe, Ariz. San Diego State last notched a win against the Sun Devils in August of 2008 when it picked up a 2-1 victory in San Diego.
- The Aztecs are 2-1-1 in their last four games against current members of the Pac-12. A year ago, SDSU defeated Arizona, 1-0, in its season opener. In 2010, the Aztecs won at Utah and tied with No. 18 Oregon State, 2-2, in Corvallis.