Morris Looks To Record 1,000th Career Point As No. 23/24 Aztecs Take On No. 20 Oklahoma Friday
Nov. 27, 2009
2009 U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam
Coming off a near upset of No. 5/6 Notre Dame on Thanksgiving Day, the No. 23/24 Aztec women's basketball team gets right back to business Friday afternoon, as it plays its second consecutive ranked foe in No. 20/17 Oklahoma. The second-ever meeting with the Sooners, which tips off at 12:15 p.m. PT, is the second of three games over a three-day span at the 2009 U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, Nov. 26-28.
The Aztecs will round out the week with a Saturday contest with South Carolina, starting at 10 a.m. PST, at the University of the Virgin Islands' Sports and Fitness Center.
Every SDSU game will feature a live audio feed with Chris Ello, while a live pay-per-view video feed through Fox College Sports Broadband Network will also be available via links on goaztecs.com.
Aztecs Nearly Upset No. 5/6 Notre Dame
- The loss to the Irish snapped an eight-game regular-season non-conference win streak for the Aztecs, dating back to the final contest of the Hawai'i tournament vs. No. 25/22 Iowa State on Nov. 30, 2008.
- Notre Dame's 84 points are the most SDSU has given up since that same Iowa State game (L, 71-87).
- SDSU has outrebounded its opponents in all four games, including a plus-three margin vs. Notre Dame. A year ago, SDSU only outrebounded an opponent 12 times and ranked 263rd nationally in rebounding margin at -3.3.
- Aztec senior Jené Morris posted a season-best 32 points, including 26 in the second half, for her fifth career 30-point scoring outing and her 15th contest with 20 or more points. Morris also had six steals giving her at least four in every game this season and a combined 12 vs. the team's last two ranked foes ( 6 vs. No. 2 Stanford last year).
- Co-captain Quenese Davis matched her career-best for points in game with 25, including 15 in the first half. Davis also had 25 last year vs. New Mexico and boasts seven career 20-point scoring outings.
Morris Looking To Record 1,000th Career Point At SDSU; Other Notes vs. No. 20/17 Oklahoma
- SDSU senior Jené Morris needs just 10 more points to reach the 1,000 mark in her career at SDSU. Morris, who spent her freshman year at Cal, has 990 points and could become only the 17th Aztec to reach that milestone and the first since Jamey Cox in 2002-03.
- The Aztecs are seeking their third win over an AP ranked team in the last two seasons, after beating No. 4 Texas and No. 23 New Mexico a year ago. Prior to 2008-09, SDSU had not defeated an AP top 25 school in 14 years.