Nov. 6, 2012
SAN DIEGO -
San Diego State (7-8-3; 1-6-2) at No. 5/4/5 UCLA (12-2-3; 7-1-1)
Nov. 9 | 1:30 p.m. PT | Pac-12 Networks | Drake Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
Aztec Story Lines
- The conference contest was originally scheduled for 2 p.m., but was moved up 30 minutes for television. The Pac-12 Networks can be seen in San Diego on Cox Cable 314, Time Warner Cable 418 and 419, and DISH Network 413.
- The Aztecs will make their second-ever appearance on the Pac-12 Networks and their second in their last five games. Two weeks ago, San Diego State rallied from a 1-0 deficit to earn a 1-1 tie at Oregon State. In games televised or webstreamed, the Aztecs are 1-1-2 this season.
- San Diego State snapped a seven-game Pac-12 Conference winless streak on Friday with a 2-1 decision over California at SDSU Sports Deck. Kevin Bick scored in the 10th minute, only to have the Golden Bears tie the game in the 41st. Then in the 54th minute, Blake Wise scored the winner with another patented long-range strike. The Aztec goals were the fourth of the season for both players.
- On Sunday, the Aztecs were handed a 4-0 loss by Stanford on Senior Night. San Diego State honored its two seniors, Jose Altamirano and co-captain Ata Ozbay, prior to the game. SDSU started slow and trailed after a 13th-minute goal. Stanford scored two late goals in the final five minutes to provide the final margin.
- On Friday, SDSU will look to avenge a 4-3 home loss to UCLA earlier this season in San Diego. The Aztecs outplayed the Bruins that night, finishing with an advantage in shots (27-11), shots on goal (11-6) and corner kicks (6-4). UCLA, however, scored on its first two shot attempts, but San Diego State tied the score at 3-3 in the 82nd minute. Unfortunately for the Aztecs, they allowed a UCLA goal in the 84th as No. 5/4/5 UCLA escaped with the win.
- The Aztecs will look to play the role of spoiler as UCLA can win the Pac-12 championship with a victory on Friday.
- Bick, a co-captain, has been on a roll of late having scored two of the Aztecs' last three goals. The midfielder scored the equalizer at Oregon State and posted the first goal of the game in the victory over California. Bick also added an assist on the winner at Clemson back on Oct. 19. In the last five games, Bick has been involved in three of SDSU's four goals.
- A win at UCLA will ensure a fourth straight season with a .500-or-better record for San Diego State, which would be the longest stretch during Lev Kirshner's tenure as head coach. The four straight .500-or-better seasons would be the second-longest streak in program history. The Aztecs started their existence with 25 consecutive seasons with a .500-or-better record (1968-1992).
- San Diego State and UCLA are meeting for the 50th time in the history of the series with the Bruins owning a 32-4-13 advantage.
- The Aztecs have been on the short end of the final score in six of the last 11 meetings with UCLA. In those 11 games, San Diego State is a mere 1-6-4. The record may not look flashy, but the games have been closer than the record would indicate as the Bruins have needed goals in the waning moments of the game to earn a result, including earlier this season at SDSU Sports Deck. San Diego State's last win over UCLA took place in San Diego on Oct. 6, 2007 (W, 1-0).