M. Soccer Set for Akron Tournament
Sept. 11, 2013
SAN DIEGO -
Game Week Reset
San Diego State (1-2-0) at No. 7/13/11 Akron (3-1-0)
Aztec Story Lines
- Live stats as well as a free live video stream for each match will be available at GoAztecs.com.
- SDSU is playing its first two matches away from Montezuma Road this season, after beginning the year with a 1-2 record in three home matches. The Aztecs are 0-2-1 in their last three road matches dating back to last season, with their last win coming against Clemson on Oct. 19, 2012.
- This weekend marks the first-ever meetings for San Diego State against Niagara, as well as Akron. The Aztecs also played consecutive games against first-time opponents last season, when SDSU beat both Nebraska Omaha and North Florida in the UC Riverside Courtyard by Marriott Soccer Invitational.
- Through three games this season, the Aztecs have outscored opponents 8-6, with 49-40 edge in shots attempted. SDSU has outscored opponents 6-3 in the second half, with a 24-17 advantage in second-half shots. San Diego State currently leads the Pac-12 in shots, shots per game (16.3) and corner kicks (18).
- The Aztecs are only days removed from a loss to UC Irvine, 1-0, on Saturday evening at SDSU Sports Deck, as a goal by the Anteaters' Dennis Martinez in the 77th minute was the difference in the game. SDSU was outshot 20-11, but did have an 8-4 advantage in corner kicks. In addition, Senior goalkeeper Blake Hylen (San Diego, Calif.) recorded a season-high seven saves, while senior midfielders Kevin Bick (Louisville, Ky.) and Blake Wise (Frisco, Texas) each took three shots.
- Going back to last season, the Aztecs have won six-straight games when leading at halftime, have lost nine-consecutive games when trailing at intermission and have lost two in a row when tied..
- Senior Abraham Villon (Garden Grove, Calif.) leads San Diego State in points (6) and goals (3) this season, and is second in the Pac-12 Conference in points, points per game (2), goals and goals per game (1). Villon's four points on two goals against Florida International on Sept. 1, has him tied for second in the Pac-12 in individual game highs for both categories.
- Senior forward Jordan Ongaro (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) is tied for third in the conference in shots (6) and shots per game (2), as well as sixth in points per game (1.33).
- San Diego State is also at the top in several Pac-12 team categories, including most goals scored in a game (5 vs. USD), shots in a game (19 vs. USD and FIU) and points in a game (14 against USD). However, SDSU has a Pac-12-high 11 offsides penalties.
- Freshman August Wangberg (Gothenburg, Sweden) has been a big part of the Aztecs' defense, playing a team-high 270 minutes through three games. Senior defender Robbie Freise (Canyon Country, Calif.) is second with 250 minutes played.
- Wise was tabbed No. 44 in Top Drawer Soccer's preseason national top-100 list. Wise was an all-conference first-team selection in 2012, tying for second on the team with 13 points with four goals and five assists. This season, Wise has one assist and has taken five shots.
- Following this weekend's tournament, the Aztecs' road trip continues as they take on Air Force on Friday, Sept. 20, before traveling to Denver to face the Pioneers on Sunday, Sept. 22.
No. 7/13/11 Akron