Alston Umuolo caught his first touchdown pass since the 2009 campaign.
Oct. 13, 2011
AP Photo Gallery |
SDSU Football Postgame Notes
San Diego State at Air Force - October 13, 2011
Final Score: San Diego State 41, Air Force 27
- With the win, San Diego State improved to 11-19 overall against Air Force.
- The 14-point victory is the Aztecs' largest in the 16 games played at Air Force
- It was SDSU's largest win in the series since winning by 21 (24-3) on Nov. 22, 2003 in San Diego
- San Diego State has won the last two meetings between the teams, logging consecutive victories in the series for the first time since claiming victories in 2003 and 2004
- The Aztecs won for the fifth time in Colorado Springs (1980, 1993, 2002, 2004 and 2011) and for the first time since 2004
THE 4-2 START
- At 4-2, San Diego State has matched its best record after six games in the last 34 seasons (since the 1977 squad opened 5-1).
- This is the first time the Aztecs have posted at least four wins in their first six games with at least two road wins since 1993.
- Rocky Long has guided the Aztecs to a 4-2 record in his first season as head coach at SDSU. That is the best record for a first-year coach since 1986 when Denny Stolz was 4-2 after six games in 1986.
- Despite reaching the halfway point of the season, Rocky Long already has as many or more wins in his inaugural season at San Diego State than the previous four first-year coaches - Brady Hoke (4 in 2009), Chuck Long (3 in 2006), Tom Craft (4 in 2002) and Ted Tollner (4 in 1994).
- Claimed his 69th Mountain West victory. That is the second-highest total in the history of the league.
- Brandon Davis returned a kickoff return 98 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter ... It was SDSU's second kickoff return for a touchdown (Colin Lockett vs. Cal Poly) this season, which ties a school record for most in a season (also 1997 & 1983).
- The Aztec defense has allowed opposing offenses to score no more than one touchdown in the second half of all six contests in 2011 ... Air Force's 10 points scored matched TCU's output last Saturday as the most allowed by SDSU in the second half this season ... Of the 147 points allowed this year by the defense, only 47 have been scored after the break (also 7 vs. Cal Poly, 6 at Army, 7 vs. Washington State, 7 at Michigan, 10 vs. TCU).
- The defense has forced 19 turnovers (11 fumbles, 8 INT's) on the year with 18 of those coming in the last five games. In 13 outings last year, the Aztecs only came up with six recovered fumbles and 10 interceptions (16 total forced turnovers).
- SDSU has four straight games with an interception and eight total over those games ... Additionally, the Aztecs have forced at least two turnovers in four straight second halves.
- San Diego State scored 10 or more points in consecutive quarters (2nd and 3rd) in a game for the first time since Cal Poly.
- SDSU scored on its opening possession for the third time this season and first time since the Army game ... San Diego State's 3-0 lead was its first since defeating Washington State (no lead in losses to Michigan and TCU).
Ronnie Hillman, So., RB
- Recorded his 11th career 100-yard rushing game (in 19 career games) ... The 11 career 100-yard games are tied with Norm Nygaard (1952-54) and David Turner (1976-77) for fifth in program history ... It was his fifth 100-yard rushing game in six contests this year, which ties six others for 10th on the SDSU single-season charts ... It was his ninth 150-yd rushing game, which passes George Jones (1995-96) for career 150-yard games (Marshall Faulk (1991-93) leads with 16) ... Hillman passed David Turner (1976-77), Chris Hardy (1983-86) and Wayne Pittman (1991-94) into seventh place on the school's all-time rushing list ... He also extended his streak of consecutive games with multiple receptions to nine.
Ryan Lindley, Sr., QB
- Connected on a touchdown pass to Alston Umuolo in the second quarter, his 16th straight with at least one TD pass (fourth-longest active streak in the country) ... Ryan Lindley now has 23 career games with at least two touchdown passes ... The Aztecs are 14-9 in those games ... He extended his SDSU career passing touchdown record to 79 ... Lindley finished the game 15-for-21 with 209 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions ... His quarterback rating of 186.46 was his highest this season and best since recording a 207.76 mark against Navy in the 2010 Poinsettia Bowl.
Brandon Davis, Sr., DB/KR
- Returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter ... It is tied for the fourth-longest kickoff return in school history ... It was SDSU's second kickoff return for a touchdown (Colin Lockett vs. Cal Poly) this season, which ties a school record (also 1997 & 1983) ... It was Davis' first kickoff return this season and 26th of his career.
Larry Parker, Sr., CB
- Posted his fifth interception in the fourth quarter ... All five of his picks have come in the last four games (over a 11-quarter span) ... His five interceptions are the most by an Aztec since Jason Moore had five in 1996 ... He has at least one pick in each of the last four outings, the longest streak by an Aztec since Vonnie Holmes also had a four-game streak to open the 2004 campaign.
Dylan Denso, So., WR
- Had a career-high 83 receiving yards on five catches.
Colin Lockett, So., WR
- Caught his fourth touchdown pass of the season and scored his fifth touchdown of the year (also had a kickoff return TD for a score vs. Cal Poly).
Miles Burris, Sr., LB
- Recorded 2.5 tackles for a loss, giving him 36.5 for his career, which passed Brett Faryniarz (1984-87) into ninth place on the school's all-time list ... He now has at least a 0.5 tackle for a loss in 12 of his last 13 games.
Alston Umuolo, Sr., TE
- Alston Umuolo caught a touchdown pass in the first quarter, his first since Oct. 21, 2009, vs. New Mexico ... It was his fifth career TD reception.
Abelardo Perez, Sr., K
- Abelardo Perez converted e a field goal in the first quarter, his first since the Army game ... He converted two field goals in the same outing for the first time since Nov. 27, 2010 vs. UNLV ... It's his eighth game with two or more FG's.
- The Aztecs received the ball to start the game for the seventh consecutive contest dating back to last season.
- Defenseive lineman redshirt freshman Dontrell Onuoha had his first career sack in the second quarter ... Sophomore Rene Siluano had his first career interception in the third quarter ... Senior Jerome Long forced his first career fumble in the third quarter ... Senior Logan Ketchum recovered his first career fumble in the third quarter ... Sophomore Nick Tenhaeff tied his career high with six tackles ... Junior D.J. Shields has recovered three onside kick tries in the last two meetings with Air Force ... Redshirt freshman Everett Beed had his first career sack in the fourth quarter.