Dec. 18, 2012
Final Stats |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
San Diego State-Point Loma Nazarene Postgame Notes
Final Score: No. 18/15 San Diego State 76, Point Loma Nazarene 49
Next Game: Saturday, December 22 | vs. San Francisco | Stan Sheriff Center (Honolulu, Hawaii) | 1 p.m. HT/3 p.m. PT | ESPNU
* San Diego State wins its 29th straight vs. teams from California, which is the longest active streak nationally and is the longest such streak since 1996-97.
* SDSU wins its 22nd straight game in the month of December. That entered today as the third-longest streak in the country.
* The Aztecs win their ninth straight game overall (tied for the fourth longest in school history) and eighth straight home contest.
* San Diego State wins its 32nd straight regular-season game vs. unranked non-conference foes and improves to 52-1 in its last 53 home games vs. unranked teams.
* San Diego State has won 29 straight home games during the month of December.
* The 9-1 start is tied for the second-best start in Division I history (1970-71). The 2010-11 team started 20-0.
* San Diego State has won 21 straight games when leading at the half. Under Steve Fisher, the Aztecs are 201-40 when owning a lead after 20 minutes.
* San Diego State has won 79 straight games when leading with five minutes to play.
* The Aztecs did not trail in the game for the fourth time this year.
* For the seventh time in nine games this season and fourth straight game overall, San Diego State won a game in which it did not trail in the second half.
* San Diego State wins its third straight vs. Point Loma Nazarene.
* The three-game winning streak is tied for the longest in the series (1954-56).
* SDSU improves to 9-5 vs. PLNU and 8-1 when designated as the home team.
Xavier Thames (17 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists)
* Reached double figures in scoring for the fifth time this season and 22nd time of his career... The 17 points were his second most of the season... Tied his season high with six field goals... Finished shooting 6-for-8 (75.0 percent) from the field after shooting a combined 5-for-18 (27.8 percent) over his previous three contests.
Chase Tapley (15 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals)
* Posted his sixth double-digit scoring game of the season and his team-high 63rd of his career... He has reached double figures in a season-best four consecutive games... Passed Lorrenzo Wade on the school's all-time scoring list... He is now 13th on the chart, 10th among Division I Aztecs and fifth in the Fisher era with 1,204 points... Connected on multiple three-pointers for the fourth straight game... Has multiple three-point makes six times this year... Has at least one three-pointer in eight straight games
James Rahon (9 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal)
* Connected on multiple three-pointers to help SDSU improve to 26-1 over the last two-plus seasons when he makes at least two three-pointers in a game... With his two three-pointers tonight, he moved into a 12th-place tie with Al Faux on the school's career three-point field-goal chart... Tonight was his 27th game with multiple threes in an Aztec uniform (46th career).
JJ O'Brien (6 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals)
* Set a season high with nine rebounds... His career best is 11, which he accomplished twice while playing at Utah... His four assists were one shy of his career high.
James Johnson (6 points, 2-3 FGs)
* Made his season debut tonight and finished with six points... It was his first game in an Aztec uniform after sitting out the last half of last year and the first half of this season due to NCAA transfer rules... It was his first game since Dec. 13, 2011... His field goals tonight were the first of his career... He was 0-for-3 in six career games at Virginia.
Skylar Spencer (5 points, 2 rebounds, 4 blocks, 1 steal)
* Set a career high with four blocks... His one steal matched his career high established vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
Winston Shepard (3 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 turnovers)
* Matched his career high with four assists... He also had four assists vs. UC Santa Barbara... Did not have a turnover for the first time this year... Now has just three turnovers over his last three games (54 minutes; 1.11 TO's-per-40 minutes) after committing 15 over his first four games (75 minutes; 8.00 TO's-per-40 minutes)... Led the team in assists for the first time of his career.
Jeremy Castleberry (2 points, 1 rebound, 1-1 FGs)
* Had his first two points of the season on his only shot attempt... Played for the first time since Arkansas-Pine Bluff (Nov. 21).
Narbeh Ebrahimian (2 points, 1-1 FGs)
* Had his first two points of the season on his only shot attempt... Played for the first time since San Diego Christian (Nov. 13).