San Diego State postgame notes.
Dec. 1, 2010
Final Stats |
AP Photo Gallery |
SAN DIEGO -
No. 17/19 San Diego State-Saint Mary's Postgame Notes in PDF Format
Final Score: No. 17/19 San Diego State 69, Saint Mary's 55
Next Game: Saturday, Dec. 4, 7 p.m. PT, vs. Wichita State (Mountain West-Missouri Valley Challenge) | TV: The Mtn. | Radio: AM 600 KOGO
* San Diego State improves to 7-0 on the season. It is the second time in the 12-year tenure of Steve Fisher that SDSU has opened with victories in its first seven games. This is the best start for an Aztec team since the 2006-07 squad and marks just the fifth time (1971-72, 1982-83, 1984-85, 2006-07 and this season) in 41 seasons at the Division I level that the Aztecs have opened a season 7-0 and just the seventh time in the program's 90 seasons that SDSU has opened 7-0.
* San Diego State extends its school-record for most consecutive non-conference home wins to 17. The Aztecs have not lost a non-conference home game since Nov. 18, 2008, when SDSU fell to 15th-ranked Arizona State, 59-52.
* San Diego State has won 19 consecutive home games against unranked opponents dating back to a 69-59 loss to Brigham Young on Feb. 24, 2009.
* San Diego State has won 17 consecutive games, in any location, against unranked teams dating back to a 76-66 loss at UNLV on Jan. 13, 2010.
* San Diego State has won 16 consecutive home games played during the month of December dating back to a 69-48 loss to 14th-ranked Arizona on Dec. 9, 2006.
* In its first seven games this season, San Diego State has posted a 7-0 record with three road victories, three wins in the Eastern Time Zone, two neutral site victories, two wins over teams that advanced to the NCAA Tournament last season, one victory against a team that advanced to 2010 NCAA Sweet 16 and one win over an opponent ranked 11th in the country at game time.
* Tonight's 12,414 crowd is the ninth sellout in Viejas Arena history. It is also the earliest (Dec. 1) sellout in Arena history.
* Held Saint Mary's to its lowest first-half point total of the season (24) and its lowest output of the season (55).
* Set a season high for blocked shots in a single game with 10. The previous best was four, which was accomplished three other times.
* Chase Tapley (14 points, 5 rebounds) - Reached double figures in scoring for the second game in a row, fourth time this year and for the 17th time in his career... Led the team in scoring for the fourth time in his career and for the second time this year... The 14 points tied his season high... Made his first five shots of the game, including all four in the first half and his first two three-point attempts... Tied his season high for three-point makes (2) in the first half... His five rebounds were are season high and tied a career high.
* Malcolm Thomas (12 points, 6 rebounds, 6 blocks) - Posted his third double-digit scoring effort of the season and his 20th of his San Diego State career... Had six blocks, which matches his career high.
* Billy White (9 points, 4 assists, 2 steals) - Became the 25th player in school history and the 17th player in SDSU Division I history to reach 1,000 points for his Aztec career... Reached double figures in scoring for the fourth time this year and for the 49th time in his career... Tied his career high with four assists... Led the team in assists for the second time in his career and first time this season.
* Kawhi Leonard (6 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals) - Had three steals, which tied his season high... Led the team in rebounding for the 25th time of his career and sixth time this season.
* Brian Carlwell (5 points, 2 blocks) - Tied his season high with two blocks... Now has five blocks over his last three games.
* LaBradford Franklin (6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists) - Had a career-high three rebounds in just 10 minutes... Over his last two games, is averaging 7.5 points, 4.0 assists and 2.5 rebounds.